Wednesday, August 15, 2012

August 14th

Today I made some (more) fresh baby food. I went to Market Basket and bought a half of a butternut squash that came pre-peeled. I can't remember the price off hand, but I believe it was under $2 - produce at Market Basket is the cheapest around here so since that was our main reason for shopping we braved the crowds. 

Per directions from my mother-in-law I put the squash in a pan with about 1/2 inch of water on the bottom. I covered it and cooked it in the oven at 375 degrees for an hour (or so...I may have forgotten it was in there). Once it was soft to the fork it was done!
I put it in my baby bullet large blender in chunks pureed it. 


Once it was smooth (like this) it was good to go as a stage 1 food for my nugget. Then I spooned it into the silicone ice cube trays (bed bath & beyond, set of 2 for under $8...then used a 20% off coupon) and set them out to cool. I found if I put them in the freezer still warm they got a nice layer of frost on them. 



One half a butternut squash made about 25 servings (each serving being 1 ounce). I'd say that's money WELL spent. 


And of course you all need to see pictures of Adin. He's sitting in his walker while I puree his food. We are fairly certain he's teething so he's munching (or trying to) on a frozen washcloth. 

He got his 6 month shots today and took it like a trooper. He had some cries, but he rallied quickly and was his usual smiling self again. He ate his bottle on the way home (cause it was lunch time) and then took a 1 hour nap which was unusual, but not really considering he'd just gotten shot up. 

Tomorrow he has his appointment with the plastic surgeon to see about fixing his noggin. He has plagiocephaly which has caused one ear to shift forward. Most likely he will need a helmet to re-shape his melon. There are stickers we could purchase to decorate his helmet. I'm on the fence, Jesse says no...What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment